I’ve been letting someone down.
It’s been a crazy last few months full of highs and lows, tears and excitement, love and stress.
And amidst it all, I finally realized my big problem: I’ve been letting down one of the most important relationships in my life.
The relationship with myself.
Huh? – You might say.
Selfish? You might think.
No….not to me.
You see, I’ve done a lot of work to get to a place of believing in myself. And just like that, I realized when the going gets tough, it’s really easy to say “sayonara self – I’ve got too much worrying to do.”
What’s THAT about??
It’s not easy to stay positive when you don’t see positivity in yourself.
It takes a decision to be true to yourself.
It takes a decision to be happy.
It takes a decision to be positive.
It takes a decision to keep believing.
Here’s what helped me get back to me:
1. ‘NEXT’ your negative thoughts. As soon as something negative pops into your mind, mentally say ‘NEXT!’ and turn it around. The worst thing you could do is let it consume you and turn into 3, or 5 more negative thoughts or patterns in a row.
2. Have faith. Whether you’re religious or not, spiritual or not, you can practice this. You don’t have to make this religious. I strongly believe that everything happens for a reason, and having faith will allow you to calm your mind and ease your soul. It centers me, grounds me, and allows me to keep going.
3. Keep your promises to yourself. If you don’t, why should anyone else? Enough said.
4. Do something you love. Quiet time reading; a day of movies; a day away from technology. It’s what the Dr. prescribes.
5. Don’t do this alone. Talking about what’s on your mind can literally squash any silly or negative thinking to the core. As someone very wise always tell me: be logical. Talking it out will do just that.
Can you relate?
Do you have any tips to make the most out of life and stay positive?
I’d love to hear from you! My intention is for this to be a place of support and community – so, please do share!