We’ve all been there: feeling a bit down and out; out of control in our food choices; maybe just too exhausted to even think about getting back on track.
I get it.
In fact, that was me almost every Monday. I would come out of this mind-numbing food and life coma every Monday morning depressed, moody…blue. Food is everything to our moods, and it wasn’t until I grasped this one concept that I was able to transform my life…and my Mondays.
Perhaps this way isn’t your routine or lifestyle but you’re having a hard time transitioning from “summer livin” to back-to-school/work/life livin. Or, perhaps you’re returning from a vacation where you need a vacation from the vacation! Whichever scenario, sometimes we all need a little help bouncing back.
Here are 5 Simple Things You Can Do to Bounce Back into Your Life and Start Feeling Great NOW:
1. Head to Bed! Early, in fact. Sleep is everything. When getting the proper amount of rest, I feel I can do anything. When I’m tired, I just start doubting myself, letting fear take over, reaching for sweets and comfort food, and yearning to crawl into bed under the covers and watch a whole season of True Blood in one sitting. All of which negate bouncing back, by the way.
So, do yourself a favor and get some extra, delicious rest. Your body and mind will thank you later as you wake up feeling like yourself again.
2. Make a list of everything that is on your mind – to do’s, fears, goals, thoughts, etc. Think of it as a mental dump of all that is worrying you or taking up space in your brain. Why? You might ask – because all that’s swimming in your mind is just causing stress and adding to your awful, depressed and foggy mood. So, get it all out and once it’s on paper, you can really see all in one place what you need to tackle.
Or, you might just realize that none of it is THAT important and shouldn’t be causing you a ton of worry. Next: take a deep breath and smile – you’re much lighter!
3. Sweat it out right when you get up. Wake up and workout. Don’t check emails, don’t turn the tv on, don’t find something to do that will deter you from doing this right when you wake up. This one, I guarantee, will instantly lift your mood and get you ready for the day. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a total sweat session (although this helps me the most).
Try a nice AM walk, yoga video, or just take some time to stretch and move your body.
4. Drink a lot of water. Detox everything out. Start your day with some nice warm lemon water. Water is often times exactly what we’re missing. If you have a lot of trouble getting it all down, try some green tea or adding some fresh fruit to flavor the water and before you know it, you’ll hit your target for the day!
5. Last but not least, eat a low-glycemic breakfast! This is sooo important. When feeling down and out, moody and depressed, the last thing you need is a sugary breakfast that will spike your blood sugar and set you up for failure for the rest of the day. Instead, choose a breakfast with a good amount of protein, fat and carbs. Some great choices are: smoothies, egg whites and spinach with a piece of fruit or a little greek yogurt.
My all time favorite: Chocolate Nutrimeal smoothie with a tiny piece of banana, a handful of spinach, ice, a dab of peanut or almond butter, and blend! Yum!